Making Unicorns – Kimberly Gosney
(Click here if you’d like to hear the audio version of this post. Did you know that a purple unicorn inspired my love of audiobooks?)
There’s just something that’s on my chest today. And, I can’t sleep because I drank coffee at 9:00 at night. And, I promise it’s not a rant – I do go there sometimes, but I hit the delete button on them because I can get so cranky sometimes. Here goes. For the last year or so of my life. I’ve been a little bit of an active participant in trying to “figure out who the heck I am” and “where I fit in”.
And, then came the Purple Unicorn.
She looks innocent enough, right? I mean she’s pretty cute, sassy and I bet she could even fly if she had wings. But, there’s one big problem.
She’s not real.
Unicorns are not real.
And, purple unicorns are really not real.
But, you are. You’re a real live person reading this right now. Probably wondering what the whole point of this unicorn mess is anyway. Am I right?
Yes, I know I am.
You’re chasing a purple unicorn right now! Did you know that?
Purple unicorns are pretty, fancy and just down right cool. I mean, who wouldn’t want to chase a purple unicorn. They are easy enough to spot. I’m betting that if you were to peek at your Facebook page right now, you’d see a few of those gosh darn purple unicorns. Flying all over your Facebook page like someone sprinkled glittery corn on the ground. (My daughter says that’s what all the “cool” purple unicorns eat.)
So, it’s OK to chase a purple unicorn, right?
You want to be all sparkly like that purple unicorn and I know you do. Because you think that purple unicorn has something you want. And, boy does she ever! She has a gazillion Facebook fans, $2 Million or so dollars in the bank, and a giant herd of other purple unicorns all eating glittery corn sprinkled all over the ground. (My daughter says it takes like honey mixed with chocolate.)
I want a freakin’ bite of this glittery corn already! Or do I?
I love purple unicorns, but sometimes when I spot them all sparkly like. I forget something.
Something takes over my brain and every time I see one, I want to BE one.
And, Whoa Nelly! That dang purple unicorn is flying so high I just can’t catch her. Where does she get it from. That gosh darn purple unicorn.
And, here’s what happens when you chase the purple unicorn.
You’re so busy worrying about getting what the purple unicorn has that you forget you have:
- Everything you need right now, tucked safely away in your own sparkly unicorn brain.
- Your own voice and ideas, dreams and opinions.
- A gazillion things you could’ve done if only had believed in yourself.
Not to mention you start to sound and look a little like all the other purple unicorns!
And, here’s the point.
And, just because I like to call it like I see it. I’m sharing 3 tips with you today on how to get rid of those purple unicorns. I’m sharing it with you only because I know you’re able to handle it. Because I see the purple unicorn inside you that’s chomping at the bit to be yourself.
- Break free from the herd. You can and SHOULD run away from the purple unicorns. Have a purple-unicorn-vacation. Take a break from the purple unicorns you love to admire. It’s OK, they’ll be there when you’re ready to come back to them.
- Draw your very own purple unicorn. There I said it. And, that’s what I did when a glittery purple unicorn showed up on my front porch and made me want to be her. Gosh darn purple unicorn. There’s just something so fun about drawing. If you’re seriously pen and paper challenged you can grab mine from the top of this post. She’s pretty cool for the artistically challenged.
- Be the purple unicorn. Find your own herd. If you just can’t beat them – why not join them. Just promise me if you’re going to be a purple unicorn that you’ll help your herd fly as high as you do. It’s everyone up to the clouds together. Yah! Yah!
Finally, one last thing about purple unicorns. They can also be a source of inspiration. They can help you spread your own wings and fly with the best of them. You just have to know when to chase and when to lead. If you’re the one sitting in the saddle then you’re the one leading. If you’re the one with the broom behind the purple unicorn, you’re the one cleaning up the poop.
Sorry, that last part comes from my years of cleaning up horse poop. I mixed that story up with my purple unicorn story. Maybe I’ll get it right next time.
If you liked Making Unicorns, please for the love of purple unicorns everywhere – SHARE it with a friend. And, show those purple unicorns you mean business by SHARING this on your Facebook page.